Geneious Cloud Database (beta) is a plugin you can install in Geneious Prime that will give you access to 10GB of free, secure personal data storage. This is currently available to customers on an active personal license subscription. Please familiarise yourself with the known limitations below before accessing a link that will take you to the plugin. As always with a beta, please backup your data and beware the bugs. Contact us at email@example.com if you have feedback, requests or questions.
1. Metadata editing and viewing
If you access your data in Geneious Cloud Database (beta) from multiple computers OR move your local database then metadata associated with your data will be read-only. There may also be some temporary renaming of fields. For example:
Expected behavior of metadata, namely the ability to edit and view metadata names will be returned when Geneious Cloud Database (beta) accesses the original local database.
Geneious Cloud Database (beta) does not yet support all types of search. We will be progressively adding more search capabilities over time. Currently only popular search terms such as Name, Organism and Description are supported. For example, search does not currently work when searching based on Any, Nucleotide Similarity and Protein Similarity.
Geneious Cloud Database (beta) does not yet support creating Hit Tables for BLAST searches. Choose to retrieve results as either Query-centric alignment or Bin into 'has hit' vs. 'no hit'.
As with all cloud solutions, Geneious Cloud Database (beta) works over a network. Therefore, it can be particularly slow when doing the following:
- Saving documents if changes are propagated to descendant documents
- Analysis that modifies and saves many documents such as “De Novo Assembly”
Please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org if this proves to be a limitation for your use of Geneious Cloud Database (beta).
4. We do not yet support Geneious Biologics customers
Please do not use Geneious Cloud Database (beta) if you are a Biologics customer.
5. Other minor limitations
- Issues may occur after logging out, always restart Geneious after logging out
- Changing your local data directory when logged in may cause a crash
- Folders do not show folder count
- Folder names cannot show emojis and symbols
- The Workspace text may change to “Retrying” in turbulent network conditions
- New Geneious Cloud Database (beta) popup may show up after resetting all preferences
Geneious Cloud Database (beta) plugin:
You may find these articles helpful: