The assemblers SPAdes and Flye can normally only run on a 64-bit Linux system or Mac OS. However within Geneious it is possible to run these on a 64-bit Windows 10 system if you install Windows Subsystem for Linux, following the setup instructions below.
You must be using Windows 10 Pro with all recent updates installed, and Geneious Prime 2019.2 or later for SPAdes, or Geneious Prime 2020.1 and later for Flye.
Instructions for installing Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows 10.
- Run PowerShell as Admin – from the Start menu, right-click on Windows PowerShell Windows PowerShell, then select 'Run as Administrator'.
- At the terminal prompt, type 'Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux'.
- Wait for Windows Subsystem for Linux installation to complete, then restart your computer if Windows prompts you to do so.
- Open the Microsoft Store app, and search for and install 'Ubuntu 20.04 LTS'.
- Wait until the installation window disappears (this may take a few minutes). Note: if this step fails, please make sure you have installed all recent updates for Windows 10.
- Open Ubuntu 20.04 LTS from the Start menu. This may take some time as Ubuntu is set up for the first time. You’ll be prompted to create a username and password (these don't need to be the same as your Windows username/password).
- Note : Geneious Prime 2023 onwards you will need an additional step - Within Windows Subsystem for Linux , run
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libgomp1 && sudo apt-get install python3-distutils
You can then close Ubuntu and you should be able to run SPAdes or Flye on your Windows 10 machine (until you have run them for the first time the message about setting this up will still show, but it should now run if you click 'OK'). Note that Flye is an external plugin and must be installed from the Plugins menu before use.
Note for older versions of Geneious:
To run SPAdes on Windows on Geneious Prime 2019.1 and earlier requires Ubuntu 16.04. Ubuntu 16.04 is no longer available from the Microsoft App Store.